To Jehovah`s witnesses.
MAIN TABLE OF CONTENTS
SHOULD THE SERVANTS OF JEHOVAH GRUMBLE ?
The modern servants of God like in ancient times sometimes have to deal with such display of human imperfection as grumbling. Should the servants of Jehovah grumble ?And how should those, who became the witnesses of grumbling react? In order to answer these questions, it is necessary to probe attentively the Biblical examples of grumbling among the people of Jehovah and get to know how Jehovah reacted on it. Since the essence of Jehovah is immutable in all the eternity - Mal. 3:6, it is possible to assert with confidence that His attitude towards grumbling did`t change till nowadays.
But before consideration of the Biblical examples of grumbling, it is necessary to find out the meaning of some words, which characterize the state of grumbling.
1. Grumbling is the "loud" or obvious for everybody expression of dissatisfaction with somebody or with something. The person who grumbles expresses his dissatisfaction as a rule through certain actions. All his actions are purposeful or, in other words, the grumbling person pursues certain objects.
2. The actions of a grumbling person as a rule show up in the expression of dissatisfaction aloud and usually take a form of protest or complaints about somebody or something. In cases when the grumbling person finds support from the side of his associates, the grumbling of one man can outgrow in collective expression of dissatisfaction - the revolt or the rebelling. Thus it is unnecessary, that all the participants of a revolt are acquanted with the reason of collective protest - Acts 19:28-32.
3. As a rule the grumbling person pursues the object - to draw attention to himself and to the object of grumbling and to obtain positive changes for himself.
4.The article of grumbling is the person or object which the grumbling person is displeased with.
The most interesting and useful in the whole situation, related to the grumbling is the analysis of reasons, why sometimes the people of Jehovah declared dissatisfaction. Why? Because to remove the consequences of grumbling is much more difficult, than not to permit the rebelling - to remove the reason. The analysis of the resons of grumbling in the Biblical examples of old times shows that mainly the grumbling arose up for three reasons:
1. Injustice to somebody or to something, breaking the principles of Jehovah - 2Chron 26:16-18 or resulting in the reduced circumstances, in which the grumbling person doesn`t want to stay. - Exodus 16:2,3; Acts 6:1 - see the table.
2. When the grumbling person misunderstands something. - John 6:41,43,60,61.
3. Heart disposed to dissatisfaction - Ps 77:8.
It is possible to remove the first two reasons without special difficulties, having recovered justice or having explained additionally what the grumbling person finds it difficult to understand. As for the third reason, it is only up to Jehovah to remove - His word is able to change the hearts of all, who wish to change to the best - Hebr 4:12, Jer 23:29.
Below you can see the table, in which there are some Biblical examples of grumbling of old times with the analysis of reasons, resulting in grumbling. In those cases the attitude of Jehovah and His representatives towards the situations is described, and also the methods of solution of similar problems in Israel and in the first christian congregations. Probing attentively the text of the Scriptures given in the table, the modern servant of Jehovah will be able to get on his own a clear idea of how he must act in different situations, if he meets grumbling, in order not to incur on himself the anger of Jehovah and to learn to act correctly. After the table the Biblical methods of solution the problems are given, which arise sometimes in modern christian congregations. They will help to remove the reasons of dissatisfaction and grumbling.
TABLE OF BIBLICAL EXAMPLES
From the table it becomes obviously, that at all times people grumbled or expressed their dissatisfaction, mainly at those who "commanded" among the people of Jehovah and even at the Ruler. However not in all cases the dissatisfaction or insubordination was wrong from the point of view of Jehovah. Moreover in some cases exactly due to the grumbling lawlessness from the side of those who commanded was revealed and removed.
In modern christian congregations can also be some disagreements as grumbling at responsible brothers, at their decisions or at each other, because all of us are very far from perfection and have not developed the spiritual thinking to a full degree so far. And if similar problems sometimes arise, they must be solved, the resons of grumbling should be removed. It is necessary not to let the grumbling distribute so that those who have just come to belief don`t stumble. For this purpose the modern servants should learn:
1.how to solve the problem of grumbling, if it has already arisen
2.how not to permit the grunbling
in order not to incur the anger of Jehovah at themselves and at their brothers and sisters and to learn how to act correctly according to the rules of the Creator.
A few Biblical recommendations about how to settle the misunderstanding, resulting in grumbling.
1. An elder, having heard the grumbling or having known about it, certainly reacts on it, not accusing hastily those who grumble in order not to violate the calmness of the congregation, and remembering that brothers and sisters belong not to him, but to Jehovah - Judges 8:23. Thus he tries not to permit that brothers and sisters remained in ignorance or bewilderment concerning dissatisfaction - Deut 13:12,14; 1Thes 4:6,9; 5:14.
2. An elder will find out the reason of grumbling obligatory, because if you don`t know the reason, it is impossible to remove the consequences - Jac 4:1-3,5:18; 2Sam23:3.
3. In case if the reson of grumbling is the unjustice - the violation of the Biblical principle in relation to the person who grumbles, an elder will undertake necessary measures to correct the situation and to remove the reason of grumbling - Jes 33:8,9 - that is he will recover the justice (see in the table columns 3 and 4 - cases of injustice).
4. In case if the reson of grumbling is misunderstanding of something, an elder will make efforts to explain the brother the moments of misunderstanding and thus to remove the reason of grumbling - Mark 8:17, triing to choose the words carefully -Mark 12:37b (see in the table columns 3 and 4 - cases of misunderstanding)
5. In case if the reson of grumbling is weakness of flesh or opinion of human eyes - the heart disposed to dissatisfaction - but there is no violation of Biblical principles from the side of the person whom the grumbling person is displeased with - an elder will give the grumbling person the advice impelling to rise spiritually and to work on the improvement of the symbolic heart based on the Bible.
6. To eliminate the grumbling as the sign of display of imperfection in the congregations of the people of Jehovah, in all cases of misunderstanding and dissatisfaction with each other it is necessary to solve them according to the principle - Matt 18:15-17, always remembering: even if my brother and sister is unfair and wrong to me, I don`t become better in the eyes of Jehovah because of it.
WRITE US: Jwanswers@mail.ru